In this article, we’ll break down a FedEx pilot’s salary and explain exactly how to become a FedEx pilot in just a few short years.
FedEx operates a global cargo fleet that delivers packages around the world. Thousands of businesses and millions of consumers use FedEx every month. Currently, FedEx has over 5,000 pilots and with 100+ pilots retiring every year they are constantly hiring.
With the continued growth of e-commerce, it’s expected that delivery needs around the world will continue to increase which is great news for FedEx and provides job security for their pilots.
Where are FedEx Bases?
- Los Angeles, CA: LAX
- Memphis, TN: MEM
- Anchorage, AK: ANC
- Cologne, Germany: CGN
- Hong Kong: HKG
- Indianapolis, IN: IND
What airplanes are in the FedEx Fleet?
- Boeing 757-200
- Boeing 767-300
- Boeing 777F
- Airbus A300
- McDonnell Douglas MD-10
- McDonnell Douglas MD-11
What are the Minimum Qualifications for FedEx pilots?
For FedEx pilots there are two sets of requirements, or minimum qualifications. There’s the regulatory requirements set by the FAA, TSA, DOT, and even FCC. Then there are the individual airline requirements for the job.
- Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate
- Current First Class Medical Certificate
- Radiotelephone Operator’s Permit
- Secure Identification Display Area (SIDA) Badge eligibility
- Successful completion of pre-employment drug test
- Successful completion of Pilot Records Improvement Act (PRIA) evaluation
- 1500 hours fixed wing flight time
FedEx Pilot Job Requirements:
- 1500 hours fixed wing flight time (1000 hours PIC in jet aircraft is preferred; multi-engine turbo-prop aircraft, 12,500 pounds or greater; certain single engine turbo-prop aircraft, or combination of these).
- 500 PIC required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
FedEx Pilots Pay
Just like the passenger airlines, FedEx pilot’s pay will vary based on the plane you fly and the number of hours you fly during each bid period. They have a 74-hour monthly and reserve guarantee. Given the factors above, the salary below should only be considered an estimate of annual pay based on available sources.
FedEx First Officer Pay:
- Year 1: $75,000
- Year 5: $165,000
- Year 15: $203,000
FedEx Captain Pay:
- Year 1: $227,000
- Year 5: $257,000
- Year 15: $280,000
Discover pilot pay for all the major and regional airlines in the USA on our pilot salary guide.
How to Become a FedEx Pilot
This first thing you need to do is meet all of the qualifications listed above. If you don’t meet those, you should read our article on how to become an airline pilot that walks you through every step you’ll need to follow.
If you meet all of the qualifications listed above you can visit the FedEx jobs website and create a profile. By creating a profile you enter the hiring pool for FedEx.
As you continue to fly be sure to update your profile regularly to improve your chances of being selected for an interview. Be sure you also take a look at their knowledge test outline in order to prepare.